Farmhouses located in the farming estate “Piano di Casciana” that belongs to the same owners of Villa Mazzarosa.
Meetings up to 100/120 people. Catering available.
Concerts either inside the villa up to 100 people or outside in the garden up to 300/400 people.
Artists and Authors presentation of their works.
The Villa Mazzarosa, located in Segromigno in Monte, can be traced back to at least the first quarter of the17th century. In a deed dated January 27th, 1622, Matteo dei Santi Bernardi, from the town of SanPietro di Marcigliano, sold land that is said to be located at Rio Sana to Francesco di Alessandro di Mazzarosa. In a subsequent deed dated February 1st, 1629, Filippa, the daughter of Arnolfino Arnolfini and wife of Gherardo di Nicolao Pacini from the town of Lucca, sold a house and surrounding property, located in the commonwealth of Segromigno in the area called ‘alla Torraccia’, to Francesco di Alessandro Mazzarosa. This house, with its subsequent modifications and enlargements, became known as Villa Mazzarosa.
As early as 1634, the villa is mentioned in a correspondence from Muzio Oddi to the abbot Paolo Cenami, owner of the adjacent residence, today called Villa Mansi. It also appears in a drawing, “le ville di Segromigno,” dated 1672. George Cristophe Martini, in his Viaggio nella Toscana, writes that he was invited to the villa by Fabio Mazzarosa in 1727. He describes the garden as beautiful with a large grass field and several fountains spouting water into the air. Isa Belli Barsali, in her book Ville e Committenti dello Stato di Lucca (1979), describes the villa in more detail. She points out that it has a simple parallelepiped form with a double set of stairs on the façade facing the valley that leads to the main floor high above the basement, while at the façade on the hill side, a double staircase, encased between the two lateral wings of the villa, provides access to the high main floor. The main hall has a double ceiling—the roof is at the same height as that of the rooms above the main floor—and a suspended corridor, running the four sides connects these rooms to each other with a view over the main hall below. The walls and the ceiling of the main hall are covered with delicate stucco ornaments dating from the 18th century. The original villa has undergone several alterations over the years. For example, there is another hall to the North; most likely it was originally built as an open porch. Now its large glass doors open onto the garden. The garden remains today in the design created by Antonio Mazzarosa around 1810. In the 1830s, a Famedio, a small temple in an elegant neoclassical style, was built to house the works of illustrious men of Lucca. The largest part of the park that surrounds the villa is to the North. This area is noteworthy because it contains century-old camellias, some located together in a beautiful grove, while others are isolated in different areas of the park. The park also has several rare botanical specimens, including monumental plane trees, and, unique among Lucca villas, Californian pine trees (Pinus sabiniana), a Kaki tree from Virginia, Chinese palm trees, basswoods, and an ancient fragrant olive tree. The layout of the park is in the decorative style and taste of fashionable gardens of the 1800s: gentle grass meadows are enhanced by the large ornamental plants that surround it. The park also has fountains and clear pools with water lilies, fed by a bubbling brook that runs inside the estate, making Villa Mazzarosa a pleasant, interesting, and tranquil place to visit.
From LUCCA follow the direction for SS435 for Montecatini/Pescia. After 6/7 km turn at the traffic light in Via Don Emilio Angeli for 3.2 km at the fork at the fork take the road on the left after 350 m. entrance of Villa Mazzarosa.
From CAPANNORI follow the direction for SS435 direction Montecatini/Pescia. At the first traffic light turn left (Via Don Emilio Angeli) and go straight for 3.2 km at the fork take the road on the left after 350 m entrance of Villa Mazzarosa.
The closest railway station is Lucca.
Pisa or Florence airport are the nearest to the Villa. Take the closest highway (A11 from Florence, A12 from Pisa) direction Lucca.
Exit Capannori follow the direction for SS435 direction Montecatini/Pescia. At the first traffic light turn left (Via Don Emilio Angeli) and go straight for 3.2 km at the fork take the road on the left after 350 m entrance of Villa Mazzarosa.